Design a site like this with
Get started

Resources and Services for International Students


International Student Services


ISS offers supports and services to international students and to  students seeking info regarding international learning opportunities.  ISS works with faculty wishing to develop international and  intercultural learning opportunities. See the following links for more information.


International Student Advising and Programs provides various options for advising for those with confidential questions about immigration-related or other personal matters (International Student Advisors/Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants). 

COVID Support

If you are in self-isolation or need to self-isolate, connect with the SFU COVID Assistance and Remote Engagement Support (CARES) Program.

Health Insurance is a private health care service that SFU automatically enrolls International Students in and it covers you until you are eligible for the provincial Medical Services Plan (MSP) the third month after you arrive in Canada. This private plan often costs more than MSP, so International students should apply for MSP and opt out of as soon as possible. Individuals are automatically re-enrolled if they do not opt out, even if they have MSP coverage.

You will need to complete an individual enrollment in MSP form (form 102), along with any required documentation.

If you are an international student enrolled in following the submission and processing of your form (typically a few weeks), contact Health Insurance BC (HIBC) at 1-800-663-7100 and request a letter confirming your enrollment. Once you receive this letter, upload it at to opt-out and receive a refund where applicable. If you receive your MSP card before the letter arrives, you may use that instead to opt-out. TSSU members may also be eligible to have their and MSP premiums paid for by SFU.

See more information here from our friends at the TSSU.

Transition Case Manager 

Managers are available for individual support with managing school stress, finding housing, understanding documents, or understanding Canadian services.


SFU and FIC students can connect with My SSP and request to make an appointment with a culturally relevant counsellor with similar lived experience. My SSP is available 24/7 by phone or chat and is accessible worldwide, with multiple language options available.

Connected Globally, Adjusting Locally

This is a group for international students from SFU and FIC to meet others, ask questions, and learn strategies to overcome challenges connected with online learning; including sleep, school/life balance, time management, procrastination, and motivation.

Meeting Others

The Global Student Center Lounge is a place to study, hang out with friends or simply take a break. 


  • Extend Your Study Permit: The expiry date on your study permit tells you when you have to stop studying and leave Canada. You can find the expiry date in the top right corner of your permit. This date is usually the length of your study program, plus 90 days. The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your stay in Canada.
  • Immigration Options For AFTER You Graduate: Did you graduate with a valid qualification from an eligible Canadian university or college within the last three years? The Skills Immigration (SI) – International Graduate category of the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) can help you gain permanent residence in B.C.
  • Mosaic BC– MOSAIC supports the specific needs of international students with one-on-one settlement support, information referrals, community leadership opportunities, fun social activities, pathways to permanent residency workshops, and other valuable information sessions. We offer job search support, online job application guidance, resume specialization support, cover-letter guidance, job interview preparation, and seminars led by guest speakers from various fields of work.